What a busy day! And full of hard work! We happened to get signed up for one of 28 Alpharetta Community Garden Plots! This is absolutely the very FIRST year for this so we actually were starting from ground zero! COMCAST volunteered man hours and did quite a bit of work towards the final goal. They had between 60-80 ppl there this am making and filling 4x10 raised beds! From 8-noon, they got 34 built AND about 5 of them filled with compost! That is when us actual gardeners took over and leveled and filled the rest of them!
It WAS a lot of hard work but so worth it! We can't wait to plant our bed tomorrow!
Please note the big pile of dirt to the left of this photo. These first 6 boxes are Comcast's donation boxes. From what I understand, they have planted them and the food goes to a charity...be it a shelter or a food bank, I'm not sure which. Don't you think that was motivation to see those completed boxes when we came??!!!
It WAS a lot of hard work but so worth it! We can't wait to plant our bed tomorrow!
Please note the big pile of dirt to the left of this photo. These first 6 boxes are Comcast's donation boxes. From what I understand, they have planted them and the food goes to a charity...be it a shelter or a food bank, I'm not sure which. Don't you think that was motivation to see those completed boxes when we came??!!!
I spent a lot of time at the dirt pile. I am not good at balancing a full wheel barrow and am not real good at pounding stakes into the ground. So I did what I could. I had to move a bunch of it! If you notice, it is quite a bit smaller of a pile than the photo at the top!This is the hottest day since we've been here. It was about 87 and we were not sheltered at all. They supplied a lot of water and Gatorade and after about an hr or so, I had to move on to other pursuits! I did so by standing on the boxes while H & a few other guys hammered in stakes. They told me that it helped to have the box "steady". Don't know if I really helped or not....But I bought into it....lock stock and barrel!
After that, I helped Frankie plant her garden! She is one of the 2 limited mobility plots. Hers is 2x10 and about 3-4' off of the ground. (in the photo, see the 2 raised beds in the back, just to the left of the tent???) What a sweetheart Frankie is!! It appears that she has rheumatoid arthritis and teaches water aerobics and does stain glass. But what a beautiful spirit! I do hope that I see her again!!!
H is on the left here at the front of the photo. After leveling the boxes, there may be some ends that were "floating". We had some sod and rocks that would be put into the open spots to keep our good compost in place.
After everyone was pretty much done, we had our twine and stapler so we put our markings for our "square foot gardening" project. That is what was recommended and it kind of makes sense from what we've seen on the Internet so we are going to try it. Come to find out, Linda, in SF also does this so she is going to be our EXPERT!!!!
We have it all the square feet planned and plotted on paper so we will be ready to become
"Georgia Farmers"
tomorrow!
I thought that we should call our plot...
The Little Farm....Literally & Literally.
H came up with...
The Little Farm....Literally squared. (literally2)
Let us know what you think our name should be.....
3 comments:
That is so neat! Good for you guys. How about "The Little Plot of Heaven on Earth".
What a neat thing. I have never seen anything like that. How far do you have to drive to go to "putter" in your garden? I thought that i had a plan when i "designed" my garden; that it was going to be in nice neat rows and i was going to hoe between the rows to keep the weeds down; well it is so big and overgrown, there are no rows or weeds!!
Good Luck with your little grid!
How fun!
"The Little Farm....Literallysquared"
Maybe more simply stated: "The Little Farm Squared".
Good Luck
Ed
Post a Comment