Monday, April 2

How can a sad occasion be so much fun????

For those of you who aren't  in the know, the gregarious side of my family is definitely the Kelley's.  And we always manage to pack a lot of fun, reminiscing, and love into whatever time allotment that we have together.
Unfortunately, the reason for a late March/early April gathering was the loss of A.Marian.
I'm not sure how old she is in this photo.
 I remember going to visit A.Marian, U.Al, Chris, Kim and Kit on a regular basis as a kid and always enjoying time with my cousins.  U.Al was always laughing and normally in cahoots with my dad to see what trouble they could get into.  They are, let's just say, kindred spirits.  A.Marian was always more reserved.  And while she was very matter of fact, I always knew that she loved me.  The corners of her mouth would turn up just a bit and her eyes would twinkle when she found something humorous.  I remember her popping a bread bag behind my back and making me jump....and a quick little giggle followed.  I'm not sure you can imagine my surprise that it was A.Marian who popped it.....we were never allowed to pop them at home, never mind that my mom would pop one!
In later years, I managed a few layovers in Cleveland and was always afforded the chance to enjoy my aunt and uncle as an adult.  They introduced me to their financial advisor.  Even tho I was young, they wanted me to learn about the importance of planning for my future.   Of course, I never had enough trips to visit them and, like all of us, life normally has a way of getting in the way of doing the things that you want to do.
A.Marian and U.Al rarely missed a family event.  And those events happened all over the country.  Little did I know that when we scheduled our wedding, it would coincide with a Partezana wedding.  And as all families do....divide and conquer!
Chris and his wife, Pat, and Kit came to ours.  And we enjoyed them and were very thankful that they were there.  As a matter of fact, of all of my cousins, they are the ones that I feel the closest to.  But a little bit of me was sad that A.Marian and U.Al, Kim and Tim ,were unable to share our big day.  And I'm sure that the Partezana's were sad that Chris, Pat and Kit weren't at their big day.
 Now don't get me wrong, I totally understand and never even once was mad or hurt.  But it did make me think that if I had known, we most likely would have picked a different day to get married!
Well, these are just a few of my rambling memories....Like any good Kelley reunion, everyone had to share what was on their mind and in their hearts.
I flew to Cleveland on Friday and met up with Nikki, Lynda, Caroline, Claudia and Pop at the hotel.  We then went to U.Al's.
Here, Caroline, U.Al and Nikki are raising glasses of homemade wine!
(And VERY good homemade wine!)
 I actually got into a few photos....I like this one with U.Al.
Shhhhh!
Don't tell Kim that we all sneaked downstairs to check out the wine making area and U.Al's workbench!  70+ yrs of collecting tools makes for a full bench. Note the organized jars of nuts, bolts, screws, etc along the top shelf.
 I have to admit that I am not sure what U.Al is showing Caroline.  I was chatting with Kit and Nikki while just clicking away....I LOVE digital!
 U.Al and Pat sharing a funny.
 Lynda and Claudia
On Saturday, most of us met down at the hotel lobby for breakfast.  While we kind of wanted to go out for a better breakfast, it was just so easy for everyone to come and go as they needed.  Then we went to the visitation and service.  Afterwards, they had a gathering at a local church that had a nice private facility room available.  We stayed from about 330-8pm
Here, A.Pat  is talking to A.Sara, Jeff and his wife Susan
 Dad and Ryan & Lynda are laughing at something.
 A.Patty, Donna Rae, Dad, Ryan and Claudia (is sitting) still laughing about something!
 A.Patty and Donna Rae.
I didn't know that Donna Rae is so interested in history.  She has her masters degree and teaches history in a high school in PA.  I hope she knows that I was totally serious about her coming to visit and we can do all of the historical stuff in GA!
 Caroline and Claudia....dueling cameras....I got them first!
 A.Patty & Chris
 Brian, a friend, Kristofer and Tim listening to what Caroline is saying.
Brian and Krisofer are A. Marian's grandsons.
 Kim was talking to someone.
 I think that A.Sara was talking to a childhood friend.
 Kim is so much like her mom.  Extremely strong.  And very beautiful, inside and out.
 Nikki, A.Pat, Kathy & Lynda! It was nice that we were all at the same hotel with Pop and Claudia. We all had so much fun being together.  A lot of laughs were shared, that's for sure.
 Is that a stink eye, Lynda?   Or just disbelief at whatever U.Al is saying?  Since he's been known to spin a yarn or 2, you're right to be skeptical.....
 Nikki & A.Pat
 U.Al & A.Pat
U.Al with A.Sara, A.Pat & Pop. (siblings of A.Marian)
 I have come to learn that many of my aunts and uncles were quite taken with photography.  When we went to the reunion 2 years ago, A.Sara brought out lots of photo albums of ones that she has taken.  And I guess that U.Tom always took a lot. A.Pat always had a movie camera in her hand. Chris, Pat & Kit spent at least 3 days of the past week scanning photos from A.Marian's collection to share with everyone.  Guess I get my shutterbug-ness honestly!
And from what I've found out.....I think they took the photos because they didn't want to be IN them!  But Caroline got A.Sara and wouldn't let go!
 U.Al & Kit
 Chris
 Jeff, A.Sara's son
A.Sara's 2 other sons, Lloyd and Jerry & Caroline.
I have to admit that us girls were discussing how handsome Lloyd is and that we are so happy that he and Diane have been together so long and still seem so happy.  May it never end.
  Diane, Lloyd's wife.
 Pat, Chris' wife
 Leah, Caroline and Jerry. (A.Sara's son and grand daughter)
 After the gathering, many went home and about 11 of us went out to dinner. It was late when we were done, but we headed to Lynda's room to unwind and, of course, laugh some more!
Here, Caroline had taught us how to do a model's pose....hand on the hip....to make the waist look pinched in, hip forward...to elongate the leg, shoulder forward.... to increase the visual of the bust, and chin stretched forward... to pull out any double chin....do you think we've mastered it????
After this fun time, Caroline....who was my roomie...and I went back to our room and proceeded to stay up til after 1:30 talking!  Oh, 730 came quick!
We met for breakfast again and then headed over to U.Al's to say good by.  I think they wanted us to eat some of the goodies that had been sent over by friends and neighbors, but I'm not sure we managed to put a dent in it.
Here, U.Al is talking to Caroline, Lynda and Nikki.
 Kit and Nikki....
 Before my final goodby, I had to click Caroline, U.Al, Nikki and Kit.
Maybe some families will find all of the smiles strange.  Believe me, a lot of tears have been shed at our loss.  But this is the way that we are.  We mourn, rejoice, lean on each other and know that life is for the living, so we continue to do so.  I know that A.Marian would not have wanted this gathering to be other way.

No comments: