Thursday, March 29

A before and after....almost done!

I found the photos that I took before we moved into the house.  I can't get over the difference!
Before you look below, note the window over the sink.  It has been enlarged to 2 windows.  And there isn't a peninsula anymore.   I do apologize that I was not in the same location, but I won't be able to take new photo until next week, so here it is:
 Ok, Blogger isn't allowing me to type between the photos....sorry.
the stove is where the fridge was in the top photo.

 Here is the stove and old pantry.  Exactly where the stove is in this photo is where the pantry door is in the photo below.  Also, the white door in the middle of this photo is the old pantry door.  It is now where the refrigerator is sticking out from. (go 2 photos down)
(PS: Blogger is being a bugger with the spacing tonight....sorry!)




 If you look at the photo below...above the cabinets, you can see the corner of the wall....we didn't change that at all.....it is still the same. (other than putting crown moulding up there.)
The distance between the window wall cabinets and the fridge is about 4.5'.  Actually, a very nice distance to work in.  The tall and deep utility cabinet with the open shelf will have 2 doors put on it....we are still waiting for those to arrive.
And here is the other side of the fridge....we have a nice coffee area and below is the dog food in the corner cabinet.  The base cabinet next to the fridge is the recycle bin.
 
We had planned on working on the flooring this weekend, but I am going to be out of town at A.Marian's funeral.  While it will be lots of fun to see everyone, it is a sad occasion.  A.Marian & U.Al were the spot we always found ourselves when Mom and Dad wanted a "vacation".  Many long weekends were spent in Cleveland.  And for me....they were always happy ones.
So we will most likely get to the flooring next weekend.  I'm excited, but it will be a  pretty big job, I think.  We are going to do the kitchen, hallway, powder room and the hall between the garage and the master bedroom.  I am hoping that it is only a 2 day job!
Today, Geoff came to prep the floor:
We don't understand much of the building practices down here.  But being on a concrete slab and gluing down hardwood floors just seems wrong to us.  Moisture is normally a problem, that is why we don't put it in basements up north.
Most of this really was held down well, surprisingly, but there were a few areas that were coming up.  Before we lay the new vinyl, we needed to pull that up and re-adhere it to the floor, or put in new sub flooring.
 Good glue!
 Yep, walking around "weights" for about 24hrs!  Of course, the one is right in front of the garbage can.  and another one is in front of the back door!  We have boxes of flooring on that spot and the dogs are having issues going in and out.  We'll live through it, tho.
 Then I got to help Geoff with probably the last thing that I will be able to:
He used the floor sander to even out the new sub flooring and the old hard wood.  That way, when we put the new vinyl on, there won't be any bumps or weak spots.  So I got to hold the shop-vac behind the floor sander to get most of the sawdust.
You can see where he sanded.  And while that helped to vac it....there still was a nice layer of dust to go around.   And yes, I was too lazy to put plastic up between the rooms.
But I had intended....and DID....dust and vac the downstairs.
Khak had a hard time getting out of the house to avoid the vacuum sweeper because of those boxes!
Well, I need to go finish packing.
Have a great weekend~

No comments: