Friday, December 30

Almost over....

2011, that is.
H has been so busy clearing out and reorganizing the garage.  He has it to a good stopping and staying point.  I spent 2 days on laundry and getting packages out and tying up the ends of Christmas.  Now, all I have to do is take down the tree and put away the gifts.

H has been battling some sinus congestion and it appears that I am going to have to deal with it as well.  Oh well, if that is all that it is, it should only slow me down for a day or so.

Yesterday, Sen and I went to Super H Mart....a Korean grocery store, then to Whole Foods, the organic grocery and then to the Global Farmer's Market...which appears to be more of a Middle Eastern grocery.  Now that was a find!  I've been looking for a few ingredients around and couldn't, so I've found my spot!  Yipppee!

Tomorrow, I need to run to the grocery to get some nice crusty bread and and make up some spicy black beans with a bit of an Indian flair to them and H is going to grill up a brisket.  He will go and pick up MoE and Dakneese and see if they want to have dinner with us.  If not, that is ok, but Charlie will be glad to go home.

On Sunday, we are going to make ham and bean soup with kale or spinach....gotta bring in the good luck for 2012.  We had a great lesson on what to eat on new year's day from our friends in Memphis:
The association of luck with black eyed peas came from the civil war. The Union army had a nasty habit of raiding southern towns for provisions. On a particular New Years Eve, there had been such a raid on a community in Louisiana and the Union army had taken, or butchered all of the livestock and food in the town. However, they left what they had thought was 'cow food', (black eye peas) and the leftovers from butchering the hogs, the hocks jowls and feet. What the Union army didn't know was that the southerners considered this to be a regular meal. So, you are considered to be lucky if you have black eyed peas and ham hocks to eat on New Years Day.
Hope that all of our 2012 is full of health and love~
And some time spent together!

No comments: