Wednesday, June 1

A most wonderful day....

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos, but let me tell you that I got a wonderful treat today.

First of all, this past Saturday, we went to the neighbor's graduation party.  It wasn't huge, just some of their family and friends who came and went for most of the day.   I got to meet the graduate's grandmother, Annette, who came in from San Antonio for the event.  I also got to meet a few of his aunts, one from WI and one from here.  All were great and, while I should have mingled a bit more, I enjoyed their company so much that I didn't!

I mentioned that I volunteer at Bulloch Hall and Annette expressed interest.  I told her that I would love to show it to her, if she would like.

Now, about Annette.   She is 91.   She grew up here in Atlanta.  She remembers growing up and her parents had a black man come to the house to do some work.  Since she was taught to say "Yes Sir" and "No Sir" to her elders, she used one of these when she was conversing with him.  Her mother overheard her and was simply livid!   Both of her parents loved to swim, so everyday in the summer, they would load up the car, with 2 neighbor boys standing on the running boards and drive to the pool.  They were known as the "Fish Family"!   (No, that wasn't their last name!)

She lives in San Antonio at the moment in an ARC (Army Retirement Community) Facility.  Her husband was a career Army officer.  He joined just after Pearl Harbor.  They secretly got married a week after the event, and told no one.   They "officially" got married Feb 28, 1942.   Her mother died without ever knowing!   Just after the war ended, her husband was transferred to Japan from the South Pacific, and she met him in Tokyo with their 2 sons!   She liked being stationed in Japan.

Did you know that MacArthur brought food in for the Japaneses people because they were in dire straights.  He forbid Americans from purchasing any food item from a local.   He did not want a black market to begin when the people needed nourishment.  

They were also stationed in Hawaii and Germany as well as TX, GA and DC.  She likes the life that they lived.  It isn't for everyone, but for her and her family, it worked out well.

Her first job was with a dentist who was starting his business out of college.  He was Jewish.  She remembers that several German Jews came to ATL and he helped them.   One man came over with his daughter.  When he went back for his wife, she had already been taking to a camp.   She never found out if she was spared, but most likely, not.

She heard on the radio, a long time ago when one of her kids were small, a man who hosted an exercise class.  She "took" the class every time it was broadcast.  Ever since, she has always done some sort of exercise....aerobics, line dancing, weights, or whatever.  She isn't sure, but thinks that could be the reason that she is so healthy at 91.  She's probably right.  And I should learn from that.

We went to lunch and then headed home.  I let her chat away as it was really cool to learn all kinds of fun things!  I hope to see her before she heads out of town next week!

It was a really neat treat...It reminded me, somewhat, of time spent with Herb........

No comments: