Saturday, October 17

torn ACL & hip dysplasia

Bad news at this house:
Khaki has been limping and I took him to the vet on Thursday. She felt that he has a torn ACL but wanted X-rays to confirm it. (yes, torn ACL's can keep football players out the entire season!)
Friday: Confirmed. But they don't think that it is too bad...at least not at the moment.
The worse thing that they found was that he had hip dysplasia and arthritis is setting in and will only get worse.
The good news: He had his teeth cleaned while he was "out" and they are very healthy!

The prescription for the immediate ACL is bed rest. Not sure how we are going to get bed rest for a crazy mutt who is 5 going on 1.... But I do have some sedatives that I give him 3x/day! I hope that they work!

He really was out of sorts last night as he was coming out of the anesthesia. He's getting the golden retriever pathetic look down pat! And, of course, I am biting hook line and sinker!

And, as I did with canine renal failure, I will now become an expert on canine hip dysplasia so that we know that we are doing all that we can to make the rest of his life as happy and pain free as possible.

Other than that, we've had 5" of rain this week....4" fell in one day. There was about a foot or so in the bottom of our yard. Cozmo will soon be lost in the tall grasses that are taking over the back yard as it has been too wet to mow the hillside for well over a month! At least he's white so you have a better chance of seeing him!

We are in desperate need of some sunshine...please send some our way!!!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Sorry to hear about Khaki. But he has the greatest Mom and Dad with experience dealing with special "kids". Thank you so much for the sympathy card and pic of the "boyz". We're hanging in there.
Love ya.

silliedillie said...

Good luck keeping Khaki down! If his drugs work maybe i can borrow some for my wild dog! Take care and keep in touch. we need to talk about the holidays.

Love you